Fort Winnebago Surgeon’s Quarters Bicentennial
Saturday, July 21
9:30am - 4:00pm
NOTICE: There is NO meeting at the Chapel on July 14th.
This year marks the 200th anniversary of the Fort Winnebago Surgeon’s Quarters in Portage, WI. The log building was constructed in 1819 and overlooks the site where Louis Joliet and Father Marquette left the Fox River to portage to the Wisconsin River in 1673. It is the oldest building in Wisconsin on its original foundation. The building was used as a home for the Francois LeRoi family for their portage and fur trading businesses.
DCAGS plans to attend the Bicentennial celebration will be held on Saturday, July 21st from 10am-4pm. Admission is free that day. There will be demonstrations on the Fur Trade, Medicine in the Wisconsin Territory, historic reenactments, blacksmith, bead and trade displays, quilt-turning, flint lock gun demonstrations and 1830 soldiers encampment.
FWSQ is located at 1824 State Highway 33, Portage, WI. Anyone interested in carpooling/caravaning to Portage can meet at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Regent Street site at 9:30am. There are plans to have lunch at the The Red Apple Restaurant at 1153 E. Main Street, Portage. Otherwise, pack a lunch, since there will be no food vendors on site.
For more information about the Fort Winnebago Surgeon’s Quarters go to https://www.fortwinnebagosurgeonsquarters.org
or their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FortWinnebagoSurgeonsQuarters